Seven Tepees Youth Program
130 Church Street
San Francisco, CA 94114
Should I Become a Mentor?
The following questions are intended to help you think about whether or not this is the right time to become a mentor:
- Do I genuinely like children? Do I like child-centered or adolescent-type activities?
- Do I like to learn new things?
- Am I flexible? Can I tolerate disappointments?
- Can I be non-judgmental? Or, is there a right or wrong way to do most things?
- Can I be friends with a child and his/her family who are different from me?
- Am I dependable? Can I be counted on to do what I've said I will do?
- Do I have friends who meet my own adult social needs? Or am I hoping a child will be a companion for me?
- Do I have a sense of humor?
- Is becoming a mentor something I've given some thought to? Discussed with others?
Adapted from "The Mentoring Center: 'Where Young Minds Cannot Fail' "
Download a Volunteer Application
Should I become a mentor?
Mentoring Fact Sheet
What Makes our Mentor Program Different?